This question appeared in Quora and one of the answers caught my attention. After taking permission from the person who answered, I’m copying his answer as a post.
Here are a few ideas:
- Live on one salary and save and invest the other.
- Always try to live on 1/2 of what you make and save and invest the rest.
- Do not get into debt.
- Live modestly.
- Don’t overspend on houses or cars. It isn’t worth it.
- Pay cash for all cars.
- Always get a 12–15 year mortgage.
- Don’t get caught up in buying things. Own stuff, don’t let your stuff own you.
- Have an emergency fund of 6 months – 12 months of expenses.
- Invest time into each other and into the marriage.
The profile of the person who answered this: https://www.quora.com/profile/Gordon-Miller-21
His answer link: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-pieces-of-advice-to-help-a-young-married-couple-get-ahead-financially/answer/Gordon-Miller-21
Photo credit- http://www.balajiautomobiles.net/img/finance2.jpg